Friday, 11 February 2011

Evaluation Question 7

Looking back at your preliminary task (the school magazine task), what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to full product?











Above, you can see my preliminary task magazine (school magazine) compared to my main task magazine (music magazine), in which there are great differences between them, and there are many differences on how I approached each task and how I achieved what I got.

One of the main differences between the front covers is the main picture, which also then affects almost all other aspects of the front cover. On the school magazine, my picture has two people in and is a medium shot of both of them. Since there are two people, trying to fit them both in has meant that they are both at the edges of the page, where other stories and headlines are supposed to be, and there is a gap in the middle of the page where the people are supposed to be, or even a big headline. This has resulted in headlines that don't stand out that well. However, on my music magazine, I have a single person, who is slap bang in the middle of the page, and is also a medium close-up shot of him. This makes the main picture have more presence as he takes up the very middle of the page, whilst leaving enough space round the sides and bottom to put the main headline and other headlines, without them looking out of place or hard to read. After doing my school magazine, I realized how important the main picture is on the front cover since everything seems to be based around the picture. By the time I came round to making my music magazine, I realized this and put a lot more thought and planning into the picture I need and how it would fit in the cover, and how everything else would be able to fit around it.

On the contents page, there is again a big difference between the two designs. My school magazine contents has the two different columns of articles and the 'from the editor' section, but it isn't laid out as well as the music magazine contents. There are no set columns on the school contents for the articles, they are just placed on either side of the page, which doesn't help them stand out, whereas on the music contents, I placed them in a grey box/column to separate them and therefore easier to read. There also appears to be big gaps on my school contents, of wasted empty space which could have been used better. The 'from the editor' section is also very large, and the titles small, which makes it stand out less. On the music contents, I have crammed it in a lot more to make the most of the space. I have made the article titles a reasonable size and even given the important ones a small description. I also shrunk the size of the 'from the editor' section since in professional magazines, it is never that big and doesn't dominate a quarter of the page, like it did on the school contents.

No comments:

Post a Comment