Thursday, 10 February 2011

Evaluation Question 5

How did you attract/address your audience?

Firstly, I had to find out who my target market was, and I did that earlier for my magazine research which can be seen if you Click Here. After that, I identified my target audience as 'metal heads' and then based my magazine around them. There are many methods I used to attract/address the audience for my magazine. Firstly, the cover is the main part that will be used to attract the audience since the cover has to hook them in and look attractive for them to pick it up and start reading in the first place. The colour scheme I have used on the front cover helps it stand out to my audience since all the colours are associated with the music genre (red, black, grey). This will make my potential audience to take a second look at it to see what it actually is about. Another way in which the colour scheme attracts readers is that they are dark colours, whereas most other magazines are brighter colours such as white and yellow. Having a dark magazine amongst bright magazines will make it stand out, and will make people have a second look since it is different to the others. The main headline will also attract my target audience since I have put the band's name 'Iron Maiden' in a very large font, and in the band's own font, so it instantly recognizable as the band's logo. This will hook in any person who has an interest in rock/metal music since they will know who they are, especially because they are one of the most famous band's ever, and are easily recognizable. I have also noticed that other magazines in this genre, such as Classic Rock also use this technique. You can see in the example here that they have written 'Motorhead' in the band's own font, and has the same colour scheme of a black to grey gradient.


Hopefully, the front cover will have encouraged them to pick the magazine up and have a quick read/flick through. The writing/language on the front cover will appeal to my target market since it a mainly male dominated market, and I have therefore put short, sharp, powerful sentences on the front cover: "WIN sonisphere tickets. MACHINE HEAD new UK tour". This style of writing appeals to males since it is short and powerful, tells them what they need to know very simply. It tells the reader exactly what the story/article is on the cover, but that's it, meaning that to read it in more detail, they have to buy the magazine, which is then a success since they have bought the magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment